Donald Lewes Hings
b. November 6, 1907
d. February 25, 2004 (obituary)
Awards and Life Memberships
- Member of the Order of Canada
- (awarded August 16, 2001)
- (Member of the British Empire), awarded for outstanding
contributions in radio communications during World War II.
- Association of Professional Engineers of B.C.
- Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- American Geophysical Union.
Over 55 U.S./Canadian patents, including the basic thermionic vacuum
tube current amplifier, a doppler aircraft landing system, airborne
and subsea geomagnetic geophysical exploration methods and
instruments, and the walkie-talkie. Patent Attorneys: Woodling &
Krost, Cleveland, Ohio (G. Woodling & L. Granger).
- Consolidated Mining & Smelting Company (CM&S, now COMINCO)
- designed and developed 2-way air-to-ground communications network
for mining exploration in the Yukon, N.W.T, and B.C.
- 1940-1945 (WWII)
- National Research Council - on loan from CM&S, working with
Signal Corps to develop military communications, including the
- Electronic Laboratories of Canada (President & Chief
Engineer); various contracts, including:
- Department of National Defense - maintenance and overhaul of radar
units. Prototype development of commercial electronic equipment - was
contracted for production throughout Canada & U.S.
- Noranda Mines - conducted geophysical oil surveys on prairies and
in U.S. Developed Geomagnetic survey equipment for airborne and
subsea oil and mineral exploration.
- B.C. Marine Plastics (division of E.L.C.) - reinforced fiberglass
company established for application methods and prototype production.
- KAMYR - Pollution R&D; developed centrifuge for separating
black liquors from pulp and paper.
- Trained and supplied geophysical crews for oil and mining
companies; developed extrasensitive geomagnetic instrumentation;
consulting and data interpretation; Environmental R&D.
- R&D - Air Pollution; developed instrumentation for
measurements of causes and effects of long-range air pollution
[ Back to Main Page ]